Non-intensive Intermediate Chinese I Part 1 (for non-heritage students)
CHIN 331 (3 credits) (4hrs/week)
Encountering everyday scenarios like a pro! CHIN 331 is a continuation of CHIN 234 with a holistic approach to develop reading, writing, speaking and listening skills of the Chinese language at the intermediate level for non-heritage students. The course emphasizes on learning how to act and react during situations such as shopping or choosing your next residences. The course incorporates face to face oral practices as an opportunity for students to practice their communication skills.
This course corresponds with the ACTFL Intermediate-High Level Language Proficiency.
Textbook : Integrated Chinese (Simplified Character 3rd Edition) Level 2, Part 1
Placement interview : required (except for continuing students with advancement approval from previous class)
Continued Area of Study : CHIN 333Winter 2021
CHIN331 Intermediate Chinese I: Part 1 (Non-Heritage) Sections
Skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing, and understanding of Chinese culture. Credit will be granted for only one of CHIN 331 or CHIN 201 or CHIN 334.
CHIN331 Students —> Progress to CHIN333You have two choices for CHIN333, i.e. in Winter Term 2 2020-2021 or in Summer Term 1 2021.
- 1st choice: CHIN333 in Winter Term 2.
- Please note that we have increased the class CAP so that CHIN333 next term can still accommodate around 10 students.
CHIN333 Intermediate Chinese I: Part 2 (Non-Heritage) Sections
Continuation of CHIN 331. Credit will be granted for only one of CHIN 333 or CHIN 203 or CHIN 334.
- 2nd choice: CHIN333 in Summer Term 1, 2021.
- Please note that summer CHIN333 is the second part of CHIN334 (=CHIN331+CHIN333).
- CHIN334 is a six-week six-credit intensive course. If you intend to take CHIN333 in the summer, you will be joining the rest of the CHIN334 students for the second three-week period of their course, i.e. May 31 – June 17. Your CHIN333 instructor may request you to join the class a couple of days ahead of the class to adapt to summer intensive learning. The class will meet four times a week, four hours a day, with the exact same instructional hours as a regular winter course. The course is intensive because you are earning the same amount of credits within a very short period of time, i.e. six credits for CHIN334 in six weeks and three credits for CHIN333 in three weeks.
- Please note that if you have finished CHIN331 this term, you canNOT register for CHIN334. Please register in CHIN333 in summer term 1 2021. Course is scheduled and confirmed to be offered.