Non-Intensive Basic Chinese II – Part I
CHIN 241 (3 credits) (4hrs/week)CHIN 241 is a continuation of CHIN 141, or CHIN 144, for heritage language learners . Building upon the foundation laid by previous courses, this course continues to develop students’ communicative competence in listening, speaking, reading and writing in spoken Mandarin and modern written Chinese, with special emphasis on reading and writing. By the end of CHIN 241, students are expected to be able to master an active vocabulary of 900 Chinese characters, to have a good command of most of the basic grammar, idiomatic expressions, sentence patterns, Mandarin pronunciation, and especially reading and writing skills in the Chinese language.
Textbook : A Primer for Advanced Beginners of Chinese Vol. II (Li et al. 2004) (Simplified character edition)
Placement interview : required (except for continuing students with advancement approval from previous class)
Continued Area of Study : CHIN 243Winter 2021
CHIN241 Basic Chinese II: Part 1 (Heritage) Sections
Skills in listening to and speaking Mandarin and reading and writing modern written Chinese. Emphasis on reading and writing. Credit will be granted for only one of CHIN 241 or CHIN 115 or CHIN 244.
CHIN241 –> Progress to CHIN243You have two choices for CHIN243, i.e. in Winter Term 2 2020-2021 or in Summer Term 2 2021.
- 1st choice: CHIN243 in Winter Term 2.
Winter 2021 CHIN243 Basic Chinese II: Part 2 (Heritage) Sections Continuation of CHIN 241. Credit will be granted for only one of CHIN 243 or CHIN 117 or CHIN 244.
CHIN243 Basic Chinese II: Part 2 (Heritage) Sections
Continuation of CHIN 241. Credit will be granted for only one of CHIN 243 or CHIN 117 or CHIN 244.
- 2nd choice: CHIN243 in Summer Term 2, 2021.
- Please note that summer CHIN243 is the second part of CHIN244 (=CHIN241+CHIN243).
- CHIN244 is a six-week six-credit summer intensive course. If you intend to take CHIN243 in the summer, you will be joining the rest of the CHIN244 students for the second three-week period of their course, i.e. July 26 – Aug 12. Your CHIN243 instructor may request you to join the class a couple of days ahead of the class to adapt to summer intensive learning. The class will meet four times a week, four hours a day, with the exact same instructional hours as a regular winter course. The course is intensive because you are earning the same amount of credits within a very short period of time, i.e. six credits for CHIN244 in six weeks and three credits for CHIN243 in three weeks.
- Please note that if you have finished CHIN241 this term, you CANNOT register for CHIN244. Please register in CHIN243 in summer term 2 2021. The course is scheduled and confirmed to be offered.