Non-Intensive Basic Chinese I – Part I (for non-heritage students)
CHIN 131 (3 credits) (4hrs/week)
The best way to learn a language is to fall in love with the language itself. CHIN 131 in an introductory course to Mandarin Chinese incorporating fun classroom activities, field trips, and online practices. The course aims to develop fundamental skills of listening, speaking, reading comprehension, writing, and understanding in the language. By the end of the course, students are expected to have a good command of the pronunciation system, basic grammar, and the ability to be able to conduct a daily conversation in simple Chinese.
This course corresponds with the ACTFL Novice-Low/Mid Level Language Proficiency.
Textbook : Integrated Chinese (Simplified Character 3rd Edition) Level 1, Part 1
Prerequisite : None
Placement interview : required.Continued Area of Study : CHIN 133
CHIN131 Basic Chinese I: Part 1 (Non-Heritage) Sections
Skills in listening, speaking, reading, and writing in Mandarin Chinese, an active vocabulary of about 250 Chinese words, and basic grammar. Credit will be granted for only one of CHIN 131 or CHIN 101 or CHIN 134.
CHIN131 –> Progress to CHIN133You have three choices for CHIN133, i.e. in Winter Term 2 2020-2021, in Summer Term 1 2021, or in Winter Term 1 in 2021-2022.
- 1st choice: CHIN133 in Winter Term 2.
Winter 2021 CHIN133 Basic Chinese I: Part 2 (Non-Heritage) Sections Continuation of CHIN 131. Credit will be granted for only one of CHIN 133 or CHIN 103 or CHIN 134.
CHIN133 Basic Chinese I: Part 2 (Non-Heritage) Sections
Continuation of CHIN 131. Credit will be granted for only one of CHIN 133 or CHIN 103 or CHIN 134.
- 2nd choice: CHIN133 in Summer Term 1, 2021.
- Please note that summer CHIN133 is the second part of CHIN134 (=CHIN131+CHIN133).
- CHIN134 is a six-week six-credit summer intensive course. If you intend to take CHIN133 in the summer, you will be joining the rest of the CHIN134 students for the second three-week period of their course. The class will meet four times a week, four hours a day, with the exact same instructional hours as a regular winter course. The course is intensive because you are earning the same amount of credits within a very short period of time, i.e. six credits for CHIN134 in six weeks and three credits for CHIN133 in three weeks.
- Please note that if you have finished CHIN131 this term, you CANNOT register for CHIN134. Please register in CHIN133 in summer term 1 2021. Course is scheduled and confirmed to be offered.
- 3rd choice: CHIN133 in Winter Term 1 2021-2022, i.e. Sept-Dec 2021
- Course not confirmed but very likely to be offered.