The Department of Asian Studies is pleased to offer the following two scholarships jointly with the Taiwan Economic and Cultural Office: The Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (monthly stipend for Chinese studies at a ROC University) and the Taiwan Scholarship (Tuition coverage for a whole academic year for studies at any ROC University)
2021 Taiwan Scholarship
The Taiwan Scholarship Program was established by the Ministry of Education (MOE) to encourage outstanding international students to undertake degree programs in Taiwan. In addition to providing study opportunities for a wide range of disciplines at Taiwan’s universities and colleges, this program also aims to:
- Promote knowledge, understanding and friendship between people in Taiwan and in countries around the world.
- Provide opportunities to increase academic and educational links with international institutions of higher learning.
- Develop outstanding professionals and experts to meet the needs of the global society.
Undergraduate program: maximum 4 years.
Master’s program: maximum 2 years.
Doctoral program: maximum 4 years.
- Every recipient cannot receive Taiwan scholarship for more than 5 years in total.
- Amount of Scholarships:Tuition and payment of academic fees, including credit fee. Upon validation of tuition and above fees, the MOE awards each recipient per semester up to TWD 40,000 (Equivalent to 1813 CAD, subject to change). If the total amount of these fees exceeds TWD 40,000, the remaining amount must be paid to the university/college by the student. Tuition and academic fees do not include any of the following: administration fees, thesis supervision fees, insurance premiums, accommodation, Internet access, all of which are payable by the recipients.
Undergraduate Scholarship: a monthly stipend of TWD 15,000 (Equivalent to 680 CAD, subject to change)Master’s or Doctoral Scholarship: a monthly stipend of TWD 20,000 (Equivalent to 906 CAD, subject to change)
- Application Period: February 1st ~ March 31st, 2021
- Be a high school graduate or above, have an excellent academic performance in his/her most recent formal educational study experience, be of good moral character and does not have any criminal records.
- Must be a Canadian citizen.
- Is not a R.O.C. (Taiwan) national.
- Does not have the status of being an overseas compatriot student.
- Does not hold the Alien Permanent Resident Certificate of ROC.
- Has never enrolled at any educational institution in Taiwan for the same level of degree or obtained student status that he/she intends to matriculate at. Graduating students pursuing further studies are exempt from this rule.
- Is not an exchange student in accordance with any agreement of cooperation between an international university/college and an educational institute in Taiwan, at the time of receiving a Taiwan Scholarship.
- Has not received Taiwan Scholarship for a total of five years.
- Does not have any revocation record regarding the Taiwan Scholarship Program nor from the Ministry of Education’s Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Programs.
- Is not a recipient of any other scholarship or subsidy offered by the Taiwan government or from any other educational institutions in Taiwan.
- Applicants should apply directly for admission within the deadlines specified by each university/college.
More details about the scholarship can be found on the 2021 Taiwan Scholarship official website
2021 Huayu Enrichment Scholarship
- To encourage international students (Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao SAR students are not eligible) to study Huayu courses in the Republic of China (Taiwan);
- To provide them with opportunities to increase their understanding of Taiwanese culture and society, and to promote mutual understanding and interactions between Taiwan and the international community.
MOE Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) may last 3, 6, 9, or 12 months respectively. The duration of the scholarship is from September 1st to August 31st of the following year. If recipients fail to come to Taiwan for enrollment during the above time, they will forfeit their right to retain their scholarships.
Summer term HES last 2 months, either June-July 2021 or July-August 2021.
Scholarship funding will become effective on the date of the recipient’s enrollment. Scholarship funding will end on the month of the expiration of the scholarship or if the scholarship is revoked.
- Currently Taiwan still restricts foreign language students from entering due to Covid-19, hence, successful scholarship applicants should still wait for further travel update before planning for your trip.
- Amount of Scholarships: A monthly stipend of TWD 25,000 (Equivalent to 1,133 CAD, subject to change)
- Scholarship Period: Beginning on September 1, 2021
- Application Period: February 1st ~ March 31st, 2021
- Eligibility:Canadian Citizens above the age of 18 and reside in Western Canada with high school diploma or above, excellent academic performance and good moral character.Candidates with one of the following qualifications may NOT apply:
- Overseas Chinese student or a national of the R.O.C.
- Is currently a registered student at a Mandarin Language Center or has sought a degree from any universities or colleges in Taiwan.
- Has already received a HES or a Taiwan Scholarship, in the past.
- Is an exchange student to Taiwan during the scholarship period.
- Is currently receiving financial benefits from the Taiwan government or another educational institution.
More details about the scholarship can be found on the 2021 Huayu Scholarship official website
For any questions regarding the Taiwan & Huayu Scholarships, please contact our Scholarship Coordinator Lecturer Yinghua Tsai